Eastern Mediterranean Health Genomics and Biotechnology Network (EMHGBN) was created in 2004 for representatives of selected centers of excellence in (health related) Molecular biology, Biotechnology & genomics in the Eastern Mediterranean Region by recommendation of WHO/EMRO efforts.
Responsibility for hosting the network secretariat should rest with Member States. The Secretariat should rotate among the Member States after a defined period of time. Membership should be open to all interested partners in Member States.
- To create and sustain value by being recognized as a player in the international biopharmaceutical, genomics and biotechnological industry aiming at promoting health in the region.
- Sustainable development of health genomics and biotechnology through facilitation of high quality R&D training and sharing information, experience distribution and technology transfer in order to meet common and regional health needs of member countries.
- To induce collaboration in production, training, Research & Development to be self reliant in biotechnology and industries.
- To facilitate cooperation between wealthy and poor countries to upgrade health standards .
- To promote regional common health objectives through R&D partnership and collaboration.
- To facilitate capacity building in genomics and biotechnology through public awareness and promotion, training and educational programs.
- To prioritize health related R&D in genomics and biotechnology .
- To support production of specific and new products.
- To meet internationally recognized standards .